Friday, June 21, 2024

Harvesting Chamomile Flowers

It’s so surprising to me that chamomile can self seed like it has this year. When early spring came and we were still having very cold freezing nights I noticed a lot of seedlings scattered around the yard in the dirt. They were mostly in the sandy parts of the yard and I thought that the leaves looked similar to chamomile so I decided to dig them up and transplant them in a few places in the garden. Then after awhile they started to get bigger and I started thinking they were weeds. lol! I almost pulled them out but left them and thought well if they turn out to be weeds I can just pull them out. I’m very happy that I left them to grow, because they turned out to be the most amazing chamomile Ive ever grown and with so little effort, they self seeded! I’ve been picking so many flowers for tea. I feel almost guilty that I haven’t had time to harvest as much as I should. I don’t want to miss the window while they are still good to pick. Tonight I spent a good hour harvesting one bush and I still have about 4 others to get to. The first year that I grew chamomile I remember how fast it died back and stopped blooming and I was really bummed because it just didn’t provide many flowers. But now they are growing so abundantly, that I am very happy! 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Preparing for Fall and Dahlia Projects

As the end of the season comes to an end it’s time to get ready for winter preparation and digging up the dahlias very soon. This also comes...