Tuesday, June 18, 2024

Potato and Onion updates


The potatoes are doing very well. When I first thought of growing them, I was nervous since I knew nothing about them. I was sure it would be very difficult.  I know this sounds very negative but I really thought this was a crop for only the serious experienced gardener. I did give it my best shot and I am so glad that I did. I am really amazed at how big they have gotten in just one month and how well they are doing. I just hope that they produce potatoes which remains a mystery.

They are currently blossoming and look very healthy. No major pests that I can tell. Some little things that I have noticed were some funny cut marks on the blossom stems which caused me to be concerned a little bit. 

Almost like something is deliberately cutting the blossoms off. But the interesting thing is, that I researched it a little bit and for most people they even recommend that you cut the blossoms off to send energy to the tubers and forming the potatoes. I don’t know if this is true or not. But I thought for a minute that if it is true, then maybe this pest is actually doing me a favor by cutting all of the blossoms off for me, lol!!! Wouldn’t that be nature at work for us?! Pretty cool if that was true.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Preparing for Fall and Dahlia Projects

As the end of the season comes to an end it’s time to get ready for winter preparation and digging up the dahlias very soon. This also comes...