Tuesday, August 13, 2024

Harvesting California Poppies


I have a new favorite tea that I’ve been drinking before bed and it’s called soothing caramel tea which is made by the Yogi tea company. I love so many of their teas but this one has become my favorite. One of the ingredients in the tea is California poppies.  I think that this blend helps me to get better nights sleep than the Valarian root tea that I was drinking previously. I still enjoy Valarian tea on occasion but I do prefer the taste of the poppy tea best. Since I enjoy making my own teas from the medicinal plants I grow, I first did some research on this flower to see if it was safe to grow and what parts of the plants are harvested. I grew a few varieties but this bright orange one was the best producing flower with beautiful bright blooms. They were a little slow to get started but now are doing every well. 
Here I am harvesting some of the poppies that I currently have growing. First they will need to be dried and later will decide what I will put in the tea blend. I might add some chamomile flowers to the mix which is another one of my favorites. 
I also have an interest in making tinctures from some of the plants I have growing and have begun to research a little on the topic, I will be sure to post what Ive learned if I ever choose to explore that path.

To the left is a picture of some of the poppies I have harvested in the basket and below is a picture of the dried poppies after cutting them up. 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Preparing for Fall and Dahlia Projects

As the end of the season comes to an end it’s time to get ready for winter preparation and digging up the dahlias very soon. This also comes...