Monday, September 23, 2024

Leaf Cutter Bee in the Zinnias

This is such a cool thing that I discovered last summer in the zinnia flowers!

Based right at the intersection of the leaf and the stem I found this leafy papery shape, like a cocoon of some type. The first thing that popped into my mind was leafcutter bee. No idea where I might have heard that before but possibly when my son was little we read about them. So I looked it up and that’s what it is. So cool!!! I am so very interested in all the workings of the insects in the garden. They all have a purpose here and I’m so happy when I get to see these little miracles in action right in the backyard. 

Now it makes sense why I have been seeing holes cut out of some of the leaves around here. Fun to know! These bees are very beneficial to the garden and they are friendly. From what I’ve read, they don’t sting like other bees. I wish that they would have chosen a safer spot in the garden to make their nest because I needed to now make a mental note not to pick any of these flowers. In order to provide a safe place for them to nest, I decided that I am going to make some nesting boxes for them and that way I can watch them closely and also learn more about them. In my search for more information about these cool bees I ran into a video posted online by OwlTv

Seeing this video makes me even more excited to build some boxes for them so that they are more protected!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Preparing for Fall and Dahlia Projects

As the end of the season comes to an end it’s time to get ready for winter preparation and digging up the dahlias very soon. This also comes...